Switching from uClibc to glibc as the default in Buildroot?

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com
Wed Jun 11 07:35:09 UTC 2014

Dear Jody Bruchon,

On Tue, 10 Jun 2014 17:43:34 -0400, Jody Bruchon wrote:

> I'm waiting for musl to be sufficiently stable at this point;

musl is indeed a very interesting project, and we've added support for
it in Buildroot in our last release. The musl developers are very
reactive and helpful when we're facing issues.

However, one thing that musl doesn't handle currently is the support
for noMMU architectures. This remains an area where uClibc is essential.

> it's hard to keep a libc patched on my own. Perhaps a fork of the
> project is in order?

It looks to me that a fork is now the only solution. However, this
requires someone having a good knowledge of the uClibc internals and
the time to maintain a new project, which is not that easy to find.

Thomas
--
Thomas Petazzoni, CTO, Free Electrons
http://free-electrons.com