[OpenWrt-Devel] uClibc-ng

Carmelo Amoroso carmelo73 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 23 19:20:51 UTC 2014

Il 23 luglio 2014 13:42:38 Jody Bruchon <jody at jodybruchon.com> ha scritto:

> On 7/22/2014 11:30 PM, Steve Bennett wrote:> I would like to add my
> support to Thomas' position.
>  > Regardless of what happens with glibc and/or musl, an active community
>  > supporting regular releases of uClibc is a good thing.
>  > Time has spoken that we can't expect this to happen unless something
> changes.
>
> I agree. It is better to have a responsive maintainer releasing periodic
> "stable" versions than to have what is essentially no maintainer and
> sustained long-term fragmentation of what "uClibc" really is. If the
> uClibc maintainer wakes up in the future and begins releasing again, the
> new project's changes can always be merged back to the parent, as they
> did with eglibc and glibc. For now we need to focus on making a stable
> release, something which is grossly overdue and harms all projects
> currently using uClibc.
>
> I also agree that musl is an interesting project with a bright future
> (and a bright present for that matter), but it does not cover all of
> what uClibc covers and the number of projects that already require
> uClibc is too large to simply drop uClibc and move to musl.
>
> -Jody Bruchon

Gents,
Are we considering anyway that Bernard has recently restarted with patches
review and commit without no contribution from the other co-maintainers
(myself the first) ?
Likely Bernard is already preparing a release !
I understand that some comments from Bernard could help to clarify and
re-assure the community that uclibc is an alive project still supported.
I'm guilty as well as I'm not contributing so actively since one year when
my focus @ STMicro has hugely moved from C lib to kernel, but my bandwidth
is too low nowadays.
I do really hope this project will continue to be used and receive adequate
support from the community also providing some acked-by to patches.
I do not frankly like that anytime the community raise correctly I'd say
concerns against the slowness of releases, it the occasion to push for
other C libs; this is not the way to support uClibc project, so please
discuss about the wonderful X lib on its own list, not here.

Kind regards,
Carmelo