RFC: Proposal for a patch that changes multilib linker scripts.

Steve Ellcey sellcey at mips.com
Tue Apr 22 20:41:14 UTC 2014

On Tue, 2014-04-08 at 16:07 +0200, Bernhard Reutner-Fischer wrote:

> except your PREFIX is more like "<root>/mips64r2/64/el/"
> i suppose?
>
> i.e. your PREFIX is not correct WRT your --with-build-sysroot and/or
> --with-sysroot=
>
> MULTILIB_DIR is supposed to be used for mulitilib setups (in the gcc
> sense) but since it was apparent back than that we (gcc) 'd also need
> something like multi-arch support we (uClibc) did not implement looping
> make over multilib- or multiarch- configs internally in the buildsys but
> (currently) rely on the user to configure, build and install all the
> multilib/multiarch variants she wants on their own.
>
> Our install-path setup follows what debian needs, see defaults in
> extra/Configs/Config.in for RUNTIME_PREFIX, DEVEL_PREFIX, MULTILIB_DIR.
>
> I hope that clarifies the purpose of the MULTILIB_DIR.
> Does that answer your question?
>
> thanks,

I think that helps clarify their intended use, I am trying to create a
slightly different structure for my cross compiler which is why I am
having issues.

For example I was building/installing with
	PREFIX=<root-location> (i.e. something like /path/uclibc-root)
	MULTILIB_DIR=mips64r2/64/el
	DEVEL_PREFIX=/

I am trying to build a uclibc sysroot setup that mimics the glibc one I
have where there is a single <sysroot>/usr/include for the headers but
then multiple libc.a files in (for example) <sysroot>/usr/lib/libc.a,
<sysroot>/mips64r2/usr/lib/libc.a, or
<sysroot>/mips64r2/64/el/usr/lib/libc.a.

One thing I have just noticed is that this doesn't work because
usr/include contains uClibc_config.h which is different based on
what options you used to build uclibc (big or little endian; soft or
hard float; etc).  All the other header files appear to be identical.

Steve Ellcey