Doing a release?

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com
Wed Nov 6 18:57:09 UTC 2013

Hello,

On Wed, 18 Sep 2013 06:49:44 +0200, Thomas Petazzoni wrote:
> Dear uClibc developers,
>
> The last release of uClibc, 0.9.33.2, has been made well over a year
> ago. However, there is fairly big number of improvements/fixes in the
> master branch that would be interesting to have in a release. At the
> Buildroot level, we now have 53 patches in your patch stack against
> uClibc 0.9.33.2, all coming from the master branch if I'm correct (see
> http://git.buildroot.net/buildroot/tree/package/uclibc/0.9.33.2).
>
> It'd be really nice if uClibc adopted a slightly more frequent release
> schedule, to more easily allow downstream users to benefit from
> improvements/fixes.

Approximately 1.5 months after my initial e-mail, nothing seems to have
happened on the front of getting a release out.

Would it be possible to take the current master, and release it as
0.9.34-rc1 maybe, so we can integrate it in Buildroot for example, give
it a little bit of testing, and hopefully have a 0.9.34 release soon
after that?

I've seen both the ARC port (from Vineet) and the Xtensa NPTL support
(from Chris), but I don't think the uClibc community should wait
indefinitely for more and more features to show up and get merged
before doing a release. Let's release 0.9.34 with the current feature
set, and plan a 0.9.35 release not too late after that with the ARC
port and Xtensa NPTL support added, for example.

Thanks,

Thomas
--
Thomas Petazzoni, CTO, Free Electrons