Alternatives to Buildroot for Native Compilation and Testing?

Florian Fainelli florian at openwrt.org
Fri Mar 1 10:23:35 UTC 2013

Hello,

On 02/28/2013 10:17 PM, Jeffrey Walton wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Are there any alternatives for testing uClibc on the native platform?
>
> I don't need a complete embedded system (which is what Buildroot
> appears to provide). In addition, Buildroot does not provide the
> compiler I want to use.

Buildroot also builds the toolchain if asked for, or you can use a
project which is dedicated to building a toolchain such as crosstool-ng
for instance.

> Lack of familiarity is hindering me. All I want to do is:
>
>    make CC=clang <other CFLAGS>
>    make test
>
> What are the alternatives for building? My apologies for my ignorance.

I do not think clang can build uClibc right now, but if you want to
actually patch uClibc so it builds with it, I would welcome that.

The embtoolkit project has announced very recently support for
clang-based toolchains for user-space applications [1], although they
explicitely mention uClibc was built using gcc.

[1]: http://www.embtoolkit.org/index.php/Toolchain:_clang/llvm_based
--
Florian