tar-1.26 not unpacking archives with symlinks?

Ed W lists at wildgooses.com
Wed Mar 14 15:35:09 UTC 2012

On 13/03/2012 21:40, Natanael Copa wrote:
> I have seen this too and it only happens when the symlink is extracted
> before the file it points to.
>
> To reproduce:
>    touch myfile
>    ln -s myfile mylink
>    tar -cf testcase1.tar mylink myfile
>
> If the file comes first (tar -cf testcase2.tar myfile mylink) it will work.

Thanks - interesting

On the surface I don't see why it's a problem to tar a link which
doesn't even have a destination file..?  Dangling symlinks should be
something that is supported?

Also, curious why older tar code works, but newer is tickling this..

I'm beyond capacity with another project at the moment - thanks for
confirming the problem Natanael!

Cheers

Ed W