mDNS support

u-uclibc-qs50 at aetey.se u-uclibc-qs50 at aetey.se
Wed Feb 1 09:59:15 UTC 2012

Hello,

Looking at Subj and the the thread
 http://lists.uclibc.org/pipermail/uclibc/2011-November/046020.html

(Was the change commited somehow?)

The approach of socket communication is good, compared to the one of
plugins-as-shared-libraries taken by glibc. (Address space isolation
between the independently maintained codebases is extremely important.)

One thing which bothers me is

+config UCLIBC_AVAHI_SOCKET_PATH
+	string "Path to avahi unix domain socket"
+	default "/var/run/avahi-daemon/socket"
+	depends on UCLIBC_HAS_AVAHI_RES
+	help
+	  A running avahi-daemon creates a socket to listen for queries.
+	  Enter the path you configured your avahi-daemon to.

It is sometimes crucial to be able to use the same binary in different
circumstances - e.g. on differently setup hosts, using different sockets
paths.

Unfortunately Avahi hardwires its socket path, but let us do better.

Hardwiring is generally harmful. Could we make this run-time configurable
somehow, like using an environment variable? Otherwise I'd be forced to
add such functionality anyway to my builds... It would be certainly useful
in general, lifting the otherwise arbitrary limitation on the host setup.

While many people can afford recompilation per host setup variation,
in certain practical cases it is simply out of question.

The most convenient would be to allow for both the "socket path variable"
and a fallback to the hardwired path when the variable is not supplied.

If either part were optional at compilation, then one would not have
any undue bloat either.

Regards,
Rune