Issue with group limit

Natanael Copa natanael.copa at gmail.com
Tue Apr 24 08:43:33 UTC 2012

Hi,

I have setup a new build server for the upcoming Alpine Linux v2.4
release and bumped into an issue with a limit (or bug?) in uclibc.

The build failed when trying to add a user called "postgrey". From the
build log:

>>> postgrey: Creating user postgrey
adduser: unknown group nogroup

The group "nogroup" is there have have worked up til now.

>From the /etc/groups:
nogroup:x:65533:asterisk,clamav,ldap,dovecot,dovenull,freeswitch,kamailio,vlc,radiusd,icecast,ircservices,mpd,nagios,nsd,ntop,pdnsd

Checking what groups asterisk belongs to:

$ groups asterisk
65533groups: unknown ID 65533
 dialout

So i think this happens due to the way the /etc/group is parsed. When
the line passes a limit (128 chars?) the parser will simply skip this
group.

Was reported earlier:
http://bugs.alpinelinux.org/issues/733

I suppose I could patch uclibc to extend the line buffer length
__UCLIBC_PWD_BUFFER_SIZE__ for now. Where is it defined?

Any ideas how to fix it properly?

--
Natanael Copa