Multiple Target Architectures

Bernhard Reutner-Fischer rep.dot.nop at gmail.com
Tue Nov 8 20:42:55 UTC 2011

On Nov 8, 2011 9:35 PM, "Paul Diem" <PCDiem at foxvalley.net> wrote:

> A few years ago I built a system using uClibc on x86. I used buildroot to
build the initial filesystem for my development machine. My target machines
have always been x86 so I've been able build everything natively from
within that environment.

> I'm now looking at building the same system for MikroTik RouterBoards so
I will need to cross compile to PPC and MIPS. I've having a hard time
grasping how to do this though. Can I simply build gcc for the other
architectures on my current development system and then build for the
target? I know I can use buildroot to build a toolchain for each target
architecture but how do I then use the resulting toolchain to build my
existing system for the other architectures? It seems like I would have to
run buildroot every time to generate a root filesystem for each target.
That doesn't make sense though since I don't need to actually build a
toolchain each time I rebuild the target system.

> I know I'm missing something simple but I'm not sure what it is.
Basically, I have a kernel, uClibc, busybox and some other packages that I
want to be able to compile/cross-compile on an x86 host for x86, PPC and
MIPS targets. What's the easiest/best way to do that?

> Thanks in advance for any pointers,

Nowadays you can build a toolchain once per arch and reuse that with
buildroot (or you can compile everything by hand, of course).
Please direct buildroot questions to the buildroot mailinglist.

Thanks,
Bernhard