[patch] remove .size directives from libc/sysdeps/linux/powerpc/crtn.S

Bernhard Reutner-Fischer rep.dot.nop at gmail.com
Tue May 3 19:33:45 UTC 2011

On Mar 23, 2011 9:27 PM, "Douglas Mencken" <dougmencken at gmail.com> wrote:

> > crti.o has these already, why would we need references in crtn.o as
well? When we link some app/lib, crti.o and crtn.o are used together, so the
functions are around, I think we need only the .section init/fini.

> This requires some testing. I may perform that tomorrow.
>
> > Does the ppc assembler fail on all *.S files that use .size or only if
the function is not also defined in the same file? So .size would be correct
(assembly-wise in crti.S, but not crtn.S), I know that we should not need it
at all (glibc compiles these *initfini* with inhibit-size-directive)

X86_64/crtn.c should do
.size _init,.-.init
if anything (I.e. use the size of the section, not a non-existing function
name). Since that would conflict with the previous size in crti, I guess
that we should remove it from crtn altogether -- manually setting the size
of the section is of no use, isn't it.