[ANNOUNCE] 0.9.32-rc3 released

Bernhard Reutner-Fischer rep.dot.nop at gmail.com
Fri Mar 18 16:53:43 UTC 2011

lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca wrote:

On Fri, Mar 18, 2011 at 09:29:53AM -0500, Rob Landley wrote: > On 03/18/2011 09:25 AM, Bernhard Reutner-Fischer wrote: > > Rob Landley <rlandley at parallels.com> wrote: > > > > On 03/16/2011 02:44 PM, Bernhard Reutner-Fischer wrote: > Hi, > > > > I'm happy to announce that we now have a 0.9.32-rc3. > This is > > planned to be the last RC before the release which we aim at > doing > > in 2 weeks, i.e end of March. > > Please test this release candidate > > and report back. So in the Linux kernel, make V=1 gives you the > > actual command lines that make is calling. That's also how it works > > in uClibc 0.9.31. But now, make V=1 does... nothing that I can see. > > Instead to get the actual kernel command lines you have to say V=2. > > But if you feed V=2 to the kernel build, you get pages and pages of > > _why_ it's rebuilding each thing it's building, a flood of > > dependency information which makes the output pretty much > > unreadable. So uClibc used ot work like the kernel
 does,
and no it > > no longer does, for no readily apparent reason. This broke my build > > scripts, or at least the ability to easily figure out why arm eabi > > and i686 are including libgcc_eh.a in their build but mips and > > arm-oabi aren't... Rob > > > > > > Hi Rob, > > > > V=1 is quiet plus defines. V=2 are verbatim commands. I don't know (nor > > care) what the kernel does > > So your build infrastructure (including make menuconfig and V=1) was > copied from the Linux kernel, the previous release had a meaning that > was compatible with the Linux kernel, and you decided to gratuitously > change it because you don't care. > > > for V=2 but if you want make to spit out > > dependency decisions then just run > > make -d -p > > or something. > > I don't want dependency decisions. I want V=1 to give me verbatim > commands the ay it did in 0.9.31. > > You broke compatability with your _previous_release_. > > > Note that we do _not_ use kbuild in uClibc, so please > > don't expect
  kbuild
behaviour... > > I expected 0.9.31 behavior. Perhaps V=0 could show quiet + defines, V=1 could show commands. That would give the new feature and be backwards compatible. Certainly completely changing an existing behaviour doesn't seem very nice. -- Len Sorensen

Hi,

Sounds acceptable, I will change it accordingly.
Thanks,