[ANNOUNCE] 0.9.32-rc3 released

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Fri Mar 18 14:29:53 UTC 2011

On 03/18/2011 09:25 AM, Bernhard Reutner-Fischer wrote:
> Rob Landley <rlandley at parallels.com> wrote:
>
>     On 03/16/2011 02:44 PM, Bernhard Reutner-Fischer wrote: > Hi, > >
>     I'm happy to announce that we now have a 0.9.32-rc3. > This is
>     planned to be the last RC before the release which we aim at > doing
>     in 2 weeks, i.e end of March. > > Please test this release candidate
>     and report back. So in the Linux kernel, make V=1 gives you the
>     actual command lines that make is calling. That's also how it works
>     in uClibc 0.9.31. But now, make V=1 does... nothing that I can see.
>     Instead to get the actual kernel command lines you have to say V=2.
>     But if you feed V=2 to the kernel build, you get pages and pages of
>     _why_ it's rebuilding each thing it's building, a flood of
>     dependency information which makes the output pretty much
>     unreadable. So uClibc used ot work like the kernel does, and no it
>     no longer does, for no readily apparent reason. This broke my build
>     scripts, or at least the ability to easily figure out why arm eabi
>     and i686 are including libgcc_eh.a in their build but mips and
>     arm-oabi aren't... Rob
>

> Hi Rob,
>
> V=1 is quiet plus defines. V=2 are verbatim commands. I don't know (nor
> care) what the kernel does

So your build infrastructure (including make menuconfig and V=1) was
copied from the Linux kernel, the previous release had a meaning that
was compatible with the Linux kernel, and you decided to gratuitously
change it because you don't care.

> for V=2 but if you want make to spit out
> dependency decisions then just run
> make -d -p
> or something.

I don't want dependency decisions.  I want V=1 to give me verbatim
commands the ay it did in 0.9.31.

You broke compatability with your _previous_release_.

> Note that we do _not_ use kbuild in uClibc, so please
> don't expect kbuild behaviour...

I expected 0.9.31 behavior.

Rob