Buildroot and bitbake

Steve Bennett steveb at workware.net.au
Mon Jun 13 22:18:48 UTC 2011

On 14/06/2011, at 4:55 AM, Rich Felker wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 08:42:31PM +0200, Laurent Bercot wrote:
>>> I use uclibc as released, gcc from fsf, linux kernel from kernel.org, etc.
>>> It isn't really that hard to do.  Or maybe I am just weird.
>>
>> http://uclibc.org/FAQ.html#compiling
>>                           #toolchain
>>                           #wrapper
>>
>> A "standard", glibc-built gcc might work for your system, but it won't
>> in the general case. gcc has a tendency to have compiled-in defaults
>> that like to leak all over the place, and it needs to be specifically
>> built for uClibc with very careful tuning to avoid falling back to
>> invalid glibc-based assumptions.
>> Compiling stuff with a leaking toolchain can lead to very, very ugly
>> things, and building a working GNU toolchain with not-glibc is not a
>> piece of cake (which is why buildroot exists in the first place).
>
> There should be some middle ground. While it's not easy, it doesn't
> need to be nearly as hard as buildroot makes it or makes it look. It's
> definitely possible to fix all the leakage by replacing nothing but
> the "compiler driver" (the "gcc" wrapper program that calls cc1,
> collect2, ld, etc.). This could be done with a moderately simple
> workalike, or with patches to build just the compiler driver from an
> existing gcc tree, and it would probably be a lot easier to maintain
> than buildroot...

I wrote the ucfront compiler driver for uclinux. Essentially this
is a compiler driver which doesn't try to replace the existing gcc
compiler driver, but simple makes adjustments to the command line
to allow a generic toolchain (e.g. glibc-based) to be used with a
different libc (e.g. uclibc)

Steve

--
µWeb: Embedded Web Framework - http://uweb.workware.net.au/