Buildroot and bitbake

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Sun Jun 12 04:27:34 UTC 2011

On 06/11/2011 03:30 PM, Kevin Cernekee wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 11, 2011 at 12:58 PM, Thomas Petazzoni
> <thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com> wrote:
>> Rob Landley <rob at landley.net> a écrit :
>>> I dunno about "recommended".  By who?  There are people using
>>> buildroot (which is a repository accumulating build descriptions for
>>> the "bitbake" build tool)
>>
>> Sorry to contradict, Buildroot is not related to bitbake in anyway.
>> Buildroot is completely written in make and does not use any other
>> external tool to process the package recipes.
>
> BitBake is the tool around which the OpenEmbedded project was built.

Yup, I put the parenthetical on the wrong entry, my bad.  Shoulda been
one comma forward.

> I don't know which libc OE is using by default, but buildroot itself
> only knows how to build uClibc based toolchains.  (Although it can
> optionally use a prebuilt external toolchain or invoke crosstool-ng,
> so you can still use it with glibc/eglibc.)
>
> I suspect that buildroot is uClibc's biggest "customer."

Buildroot started life as a test harness for both uClibc and busybox.
Having your biggest customer be your own test suite isn't necessarily an
endorsement.

OpenEmbedded's docs say the project was started because they got sick of
the limitations of buildroot, and they're by no means the only project
with that footnote in their history.  Hopefully uClibc wasn't one of
those "limitations", but I haven't asked...

Rob