Locale/iconv - it seems to work?

Ed W lists at wildgooses.com
Tue Jul 5 09:30:19 UTC 2011

Hi, iconv support seems to have become a thorn for some uclibc users and
I have seen a trail of hacks and workarounds.  However, the message
below from back in Feb seems to show that current uclibc does in fact
have working iconv support and apparently even locale support (although
not sure why I want the latter?)

Can I ask some uclibc developer to review these patches and consider
them for inclusion?  The point of the first patch is that the build
process assumes you are on glibc and have a working "locale" utility.
However, it's not core and the script seems to provide what we need on
glibc or uclibc.  The second patches work around that we are using some
script.

So far I tried building iconv with all character conversions, and a
slimmed locale to just my current environment. (Not sure if it's
possible to build without locale at all?)  This increased size of my
libraries from roughly 300KB to 350KB, so not insubstantial, but
bearable for many requirements.  The library was built *in* a uclibc
build environment, targeting an output uclibc environment (no glibc
anywhere)

Any chance of getting wider review on the proposal below?  I realise not
many folks need iconv support, but if it's available and working perhaps
we can increase it's use somewhat?

Thanks

Ed W