LEGAL: LG Electronics LGPL violations

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Wed Feb 23 23:51:28 UTC 2011

On 02/23/2011 05:18 PM, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> On Wednesday, February 23, 2011 14:18:11 Rob Landley wrote:

>>> i was talking about license enforcement from jenya's point of view.
>>> copyright law is irrelevant when jenya doesnt hold any copyrights on the
>>> code in question.
>>
>> No it isn't
>
> yeah, it really is.  you yourself said so:
>> You're right that if the company isn't in compliance with the license
>> terms Jenya hasn't got standing to sue
>> .  The license terms obligate them to provide source code to
>> him, even years after they distribute the binaries.
>
> 3 years isnt relevant if the company simply doesnt bother to comply with that
> release (which is what LV seems to be doing for their static builds).  the
> penalty for non-compliance from Jeny'a pov is that they no longer get to
> distribute the binaries.  which is what they've done.

1) The SFLC has gotten source releases out of companies.

2) They're telling him to upgrade to a new version, which they have no
incentive to reliably distribute source for, and your advice to people
is to accept that because we set up an enforcement mechanism purely for
our own entertainment which should never actually be _used_.

If Jenya decided not to go through with it, fine, but you saying that
the SFLC isn't ever worth messing with is yet another strange judgement
call of yours which I strongly disagree with.

Rob