[ANNOUNCE] 0.9.32-rc1 released

Mike Frysinger vapier at gentoo.org
Wed Feb 23 06:25:02 UTC 2011

On Tuesday, February 22, 2011 23:41:35 Rob Landley wrote:
> On 02/22/2011 05:23 PM, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> > On Monday, December 27, 2010 15:30:21 Peter Korsgaard wrote:
> >> There unfortunately seems to be an issue on ppc with NPTL and
> >> UCLIBC_USE_NETLINK=y
> >>
> >>   CC libc/inet/herror.os
> >>   CC libc/inet/if_index.os
> >>
> >> In file included from libc/inet/if_index.c:37:
> >> libc/inet/netlinkaccess.h:29: error: redefinition of typedef '__u8'
> >> /home/peko/source/buildroot/output/toolchain/linux/include/asm-generic/i
> >> nt- ll64.h:20: note: previous declaration of '__u8' was here
> >>
> >> stdio.h seems to eventually include asm/types.h, which then conflicts
> >> with the local typedefs in netlinkaccess.h. The same config works on
> >> ARM.
> >>
> >> Why are we adding those local typedefs in the first place? They were
> >> added back in 2006 by Mike, but the commit message doesn't really
> >
> >> explain why:
> >
> > i think you forget how screwed up kernel headers used to be
>
> Which is why Maszur provided sanitized headers and distros provided
> sanitized headers before make headers_install was introduced (circa
> 2.6.15) to sanitize its own headers.  An environment that used
> unsanitized (or improperly sanitized) 2.6 headers was always broken, and
> adding bugs to uClibc to work around a broken toolchain or environment
> was never the correct approach.

that's nice that you think that, wholly irrelevant as it is.  reality was that
at the time, things were breaking constantly, and defacto standard was for the
C library to work around kernel header issues.  there was no stable standard
to work off of (not everyone was using Maszur's work), and people still were
trying to build against linux-2.4.
-mike