How to port uclibc to Windows CE

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Tue Feb 8 08:50:14 UTC 2011

On 02/08/2011 01:43 AM, taowei wrote:
> Hello, everyone:
> I'm a newer for uclibc. I have two questions about uclibc and I look forward to your reply. Thank you very much.
> Question1: Is uclibccompatible with POSIX?

Reasonably, yes.  Still catching up with Posix 2008 in places.

> Question2: uclibc supports embedded linux. I want to port it to Windows CE,

Why?

> but I don't know how to do it. Can you give me some advices on it?

Not really.  It makes about as much sense to me as rewriting it in
cobol, but it's your life.

> Or Is there an existing library that is compatible with POSIX on
Windows CE?

Posix is the portable unix standard.  That's where the name comes from.
 Portable Operating System with the -ix extension of a unix clone.

WinCE is Windows, which is almost the only remaining general purpose OS
that isn't Unix based (outside of the surviving cobol-centric mainframes
or some of the really tiny embedded systems, anyway, and things like
Cisco IOS and game consoles that are only an OS if you squint and don't
even provide virtual memory).  Unix clones took over the operating
system world the way the microchip took over the hardware world.  MacOS
X is a unix variant, Linux is a unix variant, supercomputers run unix
variants, both android and iphone run unix variants...

Windows isn't.  Paul Allen retrofitted a lot of Unix stuff onto it, but
the base system is an extension of a clone of CP/M which Dave Cutler
then slathered bits of OS/2, the Vax VMS, and some microkernel ideas on
top of, and then Windows CE happened when microsoft entered the embedded
world with a hilariously unsuccessful attempt to clone the Apple Newton:

  http://www.hpcfactor.com/support/windowsce/

And it sort of hairballed from there.

I have no idea why you'd want to get any of that on you, but as I said:
it's your life.  But asking about posix support for windows is like
asking about the nutritional value of a twinkie.  There's just no point
going there, that's not what it's _for_.

Rob