getpass fgets check

Daniel Wainwright wainwright.daniel at gmail.com
Fri Dec 23 04:46:48 UTC 2011

So if one of those fgetc calls fails (say the third) is the buffer
guaranteed to be unchanged? Or will the characters read so far be in the
buffer? The patch submitted assumes that the buffer is unchanged, but I do
not think there is a guarantee of this. Checking the return value seems to
be the safest check of success.

On 23 December 2011 11:27, Rich Felker <dalias at aerifal.cx> wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 21, 2011 at 10:53:30AM +1000, Daniel Wainwright wrote:
> > I don't believe that buf is guaranteed to be unchanged if there is an
> error
> > in fgets, according to the man page the contents are "indeterminate". So
> it
> > may write some characters to buf and not null-terminate it. So if you're
> > only assuming fgets conforms to the spec I think checking the return
> value
> > is safer, or is this an implementation detail of this fgets?
>
> Can you show me anywhere the C standard allows crap to be written to
> the buffer? fgets is specified very simply as if by a sequence of
> calls to fgetc filling subsequent positions of the pointed-to array.
> It can't act outside of those bounds...
>
> Rich

Regards,

Daniel Wainwright