Building an old uClibc version with gcc

Ian Barnes ian at 2lostkiwis.com
Tue Aug 23 02:29:58 UTC 2011

Hello,

Hopefully I have picked a suitable list for this question, I realise this
isn't strictly a development question - but I couldn't find a better place
to ask.

I have an embedded appliance running linux that I am trying to build a tool
chain for. The manufacturer supplies no tool chain, they don't even follow
the GPL. I know that the appliance is based on the following software:

linux-2.6.22.19
gcc-3.4.2
uClibc-0.9.27

I have a reasonable experience with linux and embedded systems, but I have
never built a cross compiler before. I understand the easiest option is to
use the buildroot system that will download the sources and compile a
toolchain. In my instance I don't think this is possible because I am tied
to using the specific versions above and they are not selectable options in
the current buildroot system.

I have done a lot of searching in google and found quite a few sites that
describe some of the process at varying points in time, and of varying
quality. But I have not found something definitive that I have been
confident is the correct/optimal procedure.

Could anyone point me to a suitable guide on the steps I should follow to
compile the tool chain? My end goal is to compile a small httpd server that
I can run on the existing firmware in the appliance.

Many thanks,
Ian.