Problems with pthreads in a chroot?

Natanael Copa natanael.copa at gmail.com
Mon Oct 18 19:28:11 UTC 2010

Hi Ed,

I assume you are using x86 uclibc.

On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 6:16 PM, Ed W <lists at wildgooses.com> wrote:

> It's taken me a little time to figure this out, but my build machine is
> 2.6.32 with pax 2.2 - I'm reasonably sure this used to work previously with
> an earlier pax patch.  The kernel which was working on the final device was
> a 2.6.33 + pax 2.1, I just updated it to 2.6.35 + pax 2.2 and now I see
> exactly the same failure to create threads there
>
> Is it possible that someone smarter than me can please help me make uclibc
> 0.9.31 work with pax 2.2 patches?  At least some pointers on how to debug
> and find the lines of code which are triggering the failure would be
> helpful?

I can share our Alpine Linux experiences with x86 uclibc and threading.

We started with oldthreads, bumped into some bugs that was difficult
to solve, switched to linuxthreads.new which worked more or less ok.

You could have a look at the uclibc patches[1] alpine linux used for
0.9.30. We skipped the 0.9.31 release and jumped directly to git
master/NPTL.

Or you could just use Alpine Linux[2]. After all, x86 uclibc +
grsecurity kernel (including pax) is our main focus ;)

> (Alternatively, how close are we to seeing 0.9.32 and nptl get out of the
> door? Seems like it's within spitting distance?)

fwiw, for us the nptl from git have been better/more stable than any
other threading implementation before. Infact, for x86, uclibc git
master have been better than any previous release, ever. (at least up
to the point config parser stuff got committed - but i think those
issues are fixed to now)

--
Natanael Copa

[1] http://git.alpinelinux.org/cgit/aports/tree/main/uclibc?h=1.10-stable