Problems with pthreads in a chroot?

Ed W lists at wildgooses.com
Fri Oct 8 19:34:38 UTC 2010

  Hi, having some further problems (which I think existed also with
0.9.30.1) where any attempt to call pthread_create() is returning EAGAIN...

This only happens when running in a (32bit) uclibc chroot, chroot itself
running under a 64bit gentoo hardened glibc on 2.6.32 kernel with
pax/grsec/vserver/aufs patches. I don't see anything in the host log files

I created a simplified test app which just calls pthread_create and this
app fails in my chroot, but works fine running on a real machine using
near identical binaries but a different (32bit) kernel (I'm basically
using the chroot to build the image to run on the remote machine)

Anyone please help debug why I am having trouble creating threads?  It's
particularly annoying because I can't run mksquashfs from my build
environment without thread support.  I assume I'm hitting some wierd
effect where uclibc thinks I have some resource limit set, but I just
can't see how/where?  ulimit -a shows high thread limits. Where else can
I look?

Thanks for any advice

Ed W