backtrace functions in uClibc

Carmelo AMOROSO carmelo.amoroso at st.com
Wed Jun 2 14:20:43 UTC 2010

On 5/26/2010 8:44 AM, Carmelo AMOROSO wrote:
> Hi All,
> I had a request from a customer to add support for backtrace functions
> in uclibc. The current implementation available in glibc is based on
> unwind functions provided by libgcc_s.so that is dlopen-ed for
> traversing the stack frames and print them (using dwarf2 information).
>
> glibc includes the __libc_dlopen function inside the C lib, while in
> uClibc this is only available in libdl, and obviously we cannot have
> libc depending on libdl.
>
> I was thinking to add a libbacktrace.so into uClibc to provide this
> functionality that can link libdl to use dlopen/dlsym, and I was
> thinking to contribute this back if acceptable by the uclibc guys, so
> your comments are welcome.
>
> I'll include it on ST uclibc branch anyway as customer needs it, but I'd
> prefer to work on something more widely useful.
>
> Thanks,
> Carmelo

libubacktrace implemented for SH4 and available on STLinux uclibc-nptl
branch (older version) for our customer.

If interested have a look at
http://git.stlinux.com/?p=stm/uclibc.git;a=commit;h=d6a3d9ece5922a337800a8e2ed4db7e226f9ccb3

I'll provide a more complete implementation against master asap.

Carmelo