Possible regression from timeout commit for resolv.conf

Kevin Day thekevinday at gmail.com
Tue Apr 6 13:31:53 UTC 2010

On 4/6/10, Denys Vlasenko <vda.linux at googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Friday 02 April 2010 00:21, Kevin Day wrote:
>  > I am using the NPTL branch on x86, which works perfectly fine (in
>  > fact, better than any other stable release since 0.9.28)
>  > The commit number is: cca45baf8353d1e338d232f5bdb2d1d6b357f1da
>  > (http://git.uclibc.org/uClibc/commit/?h=nptl&id=cca45baf8353d1e338d232f5bdb2d1d6b357f1da)
>  >
>  > With the addition of the commit, the program claws-mail fails to
>  > respond to SMTP servers and throws an annoyingly useless error.
>  > At first glance I assumed that this to be a claws-mail problem.
>

> You did not provide any symptoms. *How* does it fail?

Claws Mail returns the following message:
** IMAP error on (null): connection refused

This happens during any attempt to connect via domain name.

I can manually run nslookup for the mail server, copy that address and
manually use the ip address to connect to the mail server with
claws-mail.

Just to be sure, I also tried both cases with the firewall off with
same results.

In the claws-mail-3.7.5 source code, line 1102 of src/imap.c, they have:
imap_handle_error(NULL, r);

I seem to have written "SMPT" by accident in the message, what I meant was IMAP.
The problem is both with sending and receiving.

>  > Somehow adding support for timeout and attempts in resolv.conf breaks
>  > claws-mail.
>  >
>  > When I revert those changes in mentioned commit, recompile uClibc, and
>  > run claws-mail again, it works.
>  >
>  > What makes me think that the problem _might_ be in uClibc is that
>  > timeout and attempts support is present in glibc and claws-mail works
>  > under glibc.
>  >
>  > What makes me think this is not a uclibc problem is that every other
>  > program on the system seems to work and seems to resolve fine.
>  >
>  > My configuration does not set: UCLIBC_HAS_COMPAT_RES_STATE
>  > Considering that some of the code was moved from inside
>  > UCLIBC_HAS_COMPAT_RES_STATE to outside UCLIBC_HAS_COMPAT_RES_STATE,
>  > this could be the cause. (But again, claws-mail _does_ work under
>  > glibc..)
>  >
>  > Any help?
>

> Looks like the issue with _res layout mismatch.
>
>  You need to recompile *both* uClibc and after that, the program.
>
> --
>  vda

This error have been reproduced on complete system rebuilds.
On a completely fresh system using an NPTL revision prior to the
mentioned commit works.
On a completely fresh system using an NPTL revision after the
mentioned commit breaks.

--
Kevin Day