Discrepancy? uClibc seems very large

Michael Deutschmann michael at talamasca.ocis.net
Sat Sep 26 04:16:17 UTC 2009

On Fri, 25 Sep 2009, Ersin Akinci wrote:
> Yet whenever I compile uClibc seperately (also using the buildroot
> toolchain w/ uClibc) it always comes to somewhere between 3.5-4.5 MB with
> a rather slim config.

Are you looking at the shared library file (/lib/libuClibc-*.so) or the
static library (/usr/lib/libc.a)?  On my system, the shared uClibc comes
to about 260k, but the static library is over a megabyte.

The static library is never needed at run time, and rarely needed at
compile time, so you could delete it if you are pressed for space.

Aside from that, the biggest bloat factor for uClibc is locales.  While
glibc's approach is to have a generic driver in the library that loads
external data files, uClibc will compile a preset library of locales into
the .so file itself.

---- Michael Deutschmann <michael at talamasca.ocis.net>