Commit 6625518cd6 broke cross compiling?

Bernhard Reutner-Fischer rep.dot.nop at gmail.com
Mon Sep 14 15:00:00 UTC 2009

On Sun, Sep 06, 2009 at 11:26:59PM -0500, Rob Landley wrote:
>On Sunday 06 September 2009 07:22:56 Bernhard Reutner-Fischer wrote:

>> > i thought we were already leveraging $(ARCH) :)
>> >
>> > when i want to do a Blackfin defconfig, i do:
>> > make CROSS_COMPILE=bfin-linux-uclibc- ARCH=bfin defconfig
>>
>> We do. There seems to be irritation that you had to always pass  ARCH
>> (even after configuration).
>
>I think the sudden undocumented behavior change had something to do with it,
>especially breaking an existing code path that used to work, and adding a new
>mechanism to specify architectures without removing the old one (which is
>still there but no longer works).
>
>I never passed ARCH= to the configure or build stages of uClibc.  I never
>needed to.  I just selected the architecture I wanted to build via menuconfig,
>saved it in the .config, and built.  That worked fine consistently for seeral

Can you pull and apply the attached patch (which does the same thing but
simpler) to see if it breaks your usual workflow, please?

Note that with this patch you still can (or could if you wanted to..)
$ make O=/tmp/uC.arm ARCH=arm
or
$ make O=/tmp/uC.local-arch

and get the expected result.
Please let me know if that one is better.
TIA,
Bernhard