Commit 6625518cd6 broke cross compiling?

Bernhard Reutner-Fischer rep.dot.nop at gmail.com
Sun Sep 6 12:33:11 UTC 2009

2009/9/5 Denys Vlasenko <vda.linux at googlemail.com>:
> On Saturday 05 September 2009 00:23, Khem Raj wrote:

>> use make ARCH=<your arch>
>> specifying ARCH is needed now on makefile commandline.
>
> Why? This information is available from .config file.
> And it was working without before.

Previously when you rm .config ; make menuconfig, you ended up with
the first arch in the arches menu (alpha in our case) and i find that
impractical. You usually want to
- build for the arch you're running on (which is the default ATM) or
- build for ARCH=

The patch i just sent would relax this and either use the arch from
the .config or the one from ARCH= if there's no .config and should
better match your expectations (AFAIU)?