Compilation of syscall.c fails on ARM device

Ron ron at debian.org
Sun Sep 6 05:07:05 UTC 2009

On Sat, Sep 05, 2009 at 11:15:37PM -0500, Rob Landley wrote:
> On Tuesday 18 August 2009 17:42:36 Khem Raj wrote:
> > If we need to revive OABI then we might have to find a way to make it
> > work, right now mostly people use EABI and there it should work ok.
> >
> > Is it possible for you to switch to EABI ?
>
> I have a Tin Can Tools Nail/Hammer board based on the Samsung S3C2410A, which
> is an arm920T (v4l) processor.  As far as I know, uClibc has never supported
> armv4 EABI.  Those chips are still being manufactured because they're cheap
> and low power...

I presume you mean armv4t there, which the 920T core should support.
That's also the minimum requirement for EABI, since it mandates thumb
support (which is what the 't' stands for).

It's not possible to support EABI on armv4, which doesn't have support
for thumb instructions, but I can confirm that I've successfully used
uclibc with both OABI and EABI on a different arm920T chip.

Unless your Samsung unit is some sort of freak without thumb instructions
EABI should work on it just fine.  The main users I know of that got
burned by the EABI switch were some of the strongarm chips, which are
actually armv4, but afaik no-one is still producing products using them.

Cheers,
Ron