[Buildroot] MIPS arch on NPTL branch

James Chapman jchapman at katalix.com
Tue Mar 3 20:40:12 UTC 2009

Carmelo AMOROSO wrote:
> James Chapman wrote:
>> Carmelo AMOROSO wrote:

>>> I did mean trivial == pass NULL.
>>> In the NPTL case (more correctly TLS case) it needs to pass, in some
>>> case the exta parameter that will hold the pointer to the tpnt where
>>> the TLS symbol has been found.
>>>
>>> Give me some time to check/fix your patch. I don't have any mips box
>>> anyway to test... I'll kindly ask you to do this.
>> Ok. I'll be happy to test.
>

> James,
> I looked at the mips specific part of ld.so and I realised that there in
> *nothing* for handling TLS relocations. Probably Steve, who originally
> started working on TLS/NPTL port for mips, has never released his mips work.
> So, in one word, TLS support on NPTL branch is only available (and
> working) for ARM and SH4, that's my understanding.

Hmmm. MIPS/NPTL was working with TLS on the NPTL branch back in April
2007. My understanding is that all the work done by Steve was committed
to svn back then. It seems to me that changes made since then broke
MIPS. If no-one noticed until now, it's a pity.

> The common code of ld.so (including TLS part) is working. So if you
> volunteer your self for complete the work, welcome !.

If someone can give an overview of the changes that need to be made in
this area, it would help. Unfortunately I'm unfamiliar with the guts of
the uclibc NPTL implementation so I would need some pointers to get
started.  :(

/james

--
James Chapman