porting uClibc to a new arch

Florent DEFAY spira.inhabitant at gmail.com
Wed Jun 3 07:04:08 UTC 2009

Hi,

I am working on a toolchain for a new arch.
We already ported binutils, GCC and Newlib.

This is an embedded micro-controller. There is no OS because we don't need one.
We are interested particularly in printf and scanf, which Newlib can do.

The problem is that program linked with Newlib calling printf are too
large. The target is 16 bit and RAM is addressed on 16 bit.
We thought that replacing Newlib by uClibc could solve the problem.

I wonder:
Is there an interest for us to port uClibc to our arch (in this present case)?
How large is the difference of size between two programs linked one
with Newlib and the other with uClibc just calling printf ? (average)
Is it possible? Even if there is no Linux coming with it?
How to?

Regards.

Florent