Where is install_kernel_headers? (+ git web interface question)

Bernhard Reutner-Fischer rep.dot.nop at gmail.com
Tue Jul 21 16:34:21 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 06:17:02PM +0200, Denys Vlasenko wrote:
>> Mike removed it since it's not libc's business to install kernel
>> headers (and i agree with him, fwiw).
>
>Ok, then how can I test uclibc _before_ I install it?
>I can build it becuase I have correctly set up KERNEL_HEADERS="xxx",
>but "make check" does not work.

my CC is setup so the correct sysroot is used.

>> You have to have a properly installed set of kernel-headers before
>> you build the libc, really.
>
>This adds yet another step into cross-compilation.
>
>Up to today, I was able to:
>1. build+install cross-compiling toolchain,
>2. build+install uclibc,
>3. build+install userspace,
>
>and now I need to add
>2.5 install kernel headers

I don't quite understand. At this spot you should already have
the kernel-headers installed somewhere, why don't you use them?

>Can I have an option to not do it? It's not like I force you
>to use "make install_kernel_headers", I just want to be able
>to use it myself.

I don't see why libc should deal with fiddling stuff from other
packages, that's not clean. As said above, use the headers that
you previously installed somewhere.