add __adjtimex to get ntpd to work properly

Michael Deutschmann michael at talamasca.ocis.net
Thu Jan 29 23:03:03 UTC 2009

On Thu, 29 Jan 2009, David Mosberger-Tang wrote:
> UCLIBC_NTP_LEGACY does the trick, too.  Is there a way to
> automatically force that when somebody selects the ntp package?  If
> now, perhaps the help message could be clarified?

It does??

In my experience, while the ntp_???time functions enabled by that option
can be used as a substitute for __adjtimex() by the core ntpd daemon, the
tickadj utility can only use __adjtimex().  If __adjtimex is not
available, it falls back to a different technique only applicable to
non-Linux kernels, which doesn't even compile because it wants
<sys/var.h>.

Enabling UCLIBC_NTP_LEGACY is also a poor solution since it bloats the
library (by a tiny bit) just for the sake of one package.

I've solved the problem locally by creating a "libat.a" library, which
defines __adjtimex() in terms of adjtimex().  I just need to supply it to
configure with the LIBS= enviroment variable, and everything works.

It would be nice if uClibc would supply __adjtimex() natively, and move
the old adjtimex() alias into UCLIBC_NTP_LEGACY.

---- Michael Deutschmann <michael at talamasca.ocis.net>