questions about uclibc 0.9.30 elf type "FILE"

Kevin Day thekevinday at gmail.com
Thu Jan 22 18:39:37 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 9:35 PM, Kevin Day <thekevinday at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 8:43 PM, Khem Raj <raj.khem at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 4:02 PM, Kevin Day <thekevinday at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> During a test compilation of my system under uClibc 0.9.30, xterm
>>> failed to link because the function getpt was unresolved.
>>>
>>> Looking in /lib/libc.so of 0.9.30 with readelf showed that getpt was
>>> defined as type  "FILE" with a name of "getpt.c" (notice the trailing
>>> .c)
>>
>> thats a different symbol

After doing some extended research, I believe that symbol is STT_FILE?
The different documentation that I found was quite sparse in their
explanation of STT_FILE...
>From what little I read, STT_FILE allows for including local symbols
that are specific to individual (object) files.

So, I am left wondering as to why the getpt.c was still having an
STT_FILE definition inside of the libc when the getpt() functionality
was disabled by the .config option.

If getpt() is not going to be used, why have the local references
still attached?

--
Kevin Day