svn commit: branches/uClibc-nptl: libc/sysdeps/linux/common libpthread/lin etc...

Bernd Schmidt bernds_cb1 at t-online.de
Thu Feb 26 14:14:18 UTC 2009

Bernhard Reutner-Fischer wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 03:21:34PM +0100, Bernd Schmidt wrote:
>>> Without ifdefs, __libc_foo's will exist even in non-threaded builds.
>>> I prefer this to not happen. I feel it is cleaner to minimize
>>> the number of non-standard names being exported.
>> Anything starting with a double underscore is in the libc namespace, so
>> this isn't something we need to worry about.
>
> Well for cleanness it is preferable not to export "artificial" symbols
> that are not mandated by a sensible standard iff it is a voidable.

What exactly is the problem with it?  It can't affect anything since
user programs aren't allowed to use these names.

There's still the other issues with this patch that I mentioned.  Also,
what mechanism does linuxthreads_new use to make sure it's using the
functions in libc, rather than something overridden by the application?

>> That's something that one of these days I'd really like a definite
>> answer to.  Some gcc tests rely on being able to override certain libc
>> functions.
>
> Which tests? Do you have a sample at hand?

Most everything in gcc.c-torture/execute/builtins/

See for example

https://blackfin.uclinux.org/gf/project/toolchain/tracker/?action=TrackerItemEdit&tracker_id=145&tracker_item_id=3724

This kind of thing works automatically with shared libraries, but we've
had a number of these problems when linking statically (for flat binaries).

Bernd
--
This footer brought to you by insane German lawmakers.
Analog Devices GmbH      Wilhelm-Wagenfeld-Str. 6      80807 Muenchen