HEADS UP: svn->git transition

Denys Vlasenko vda.linux at googlemail.com
Thu Apr 30 19:30:52 UTC 2009

On Thursday 30 April 2009 21:06, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> to commit files:
>  git commit -s -m 'my commit log' file1 file2 file3 ...

Aha, this extra step creates local... change? or however it is called
in git land. Does every "git commit" creates new change?
What if I want to combine a few edits and a few adds
into one local change?

> to push:
>  git push

Thanks, this worked!

> the biggest thing to keep in mind with committing is the way git formats
> messages.  since it is geared towards easy e-mail interaction, the first line
> in the commit message is the subject followed by a blank line followed by the
> commit body.  we should start enforcing proper changelogs now in terms of real
> explanation and full sentences and signed off tags and all that jive.  example
> commit message:
> ==================
> blah blah short summary suitable for subject
>
> some full explanation here nicely wrapped to 78cols
> ======

Hmm, it did not drop me into an editor, so I had no chance
to enter description formatted like this.

I assume I need to drop -m 'my commit log' part to be able
to do that interactively?

> please also see the cheat sheet i put together:
> https://docs.blackfin.uclinux.org/doku.php?id=version_control_systems#quick_references

Yes, I've read it.
--
vda