HEADS UP: svn->git transition

Bernd Schmidt bernds_cb1 at t-online.de
Thu Apr 30 18:35:17 UTC 2009

Mike Frysinger wrote:
> On Thursday 30 April 2009 08:57:14 Bernd Schmidt wrote:
>> Thierry Reding wrote:
>>> You use "git fetch" to update the local repository with the latest
>>> changes from the remote repository, then use "git rebase origin/master"
>>> to rebase all local commits onto the master branch of the origin
>>> repository. origin/master can of course be substituted with any other
>>> branch as well.
>>>
>>> After that you can "git push" your new branch to the remote repository.
>> That seems to have worked.  Still, I have to ask:  Do people really find
>> this easier and more reliable to use than "svn update"?
>
> migrating to git from svn isnt because we think the pushing/pulling steps are
> simpler -- everyone knows git/dscms are more complicated in this regard and a
> noticeable hurdle for people who have only worked with centralized scms.  the
> reasons for git over svn were covered earlier in the thread.  in my mind, git
> is the hands down solution for these projects.

Well, ease of use was among the reasons listed.  I find this puzzling as
my experience with git has been one of incomprehensible error messages
and repo corruption at the slightest provocation.  However, I don't
contribute enough to uClibc for it to be a major inconvenience for me.

Bernd
--
This footer brought to you by insane German lawmakers.
Analog Devices GmbH      Wilhelm-Wagenfeld-Str. 6      80807 Muenchen