HEADS UP: svn->git transition

Bernhard Reutner-Fischer rep.dot.nop at gmail.com
Wed Apr 29 14:34:00 UTC 2009

On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 02:49:39PM +0100, Bernd Schmidt wrote:
> Bernhard Reutner-Fischer wrote:
>
>> We will be switching to git (instead of svn) for our repositories.
>
> Any particular reason?

I've asked a couple of folks and they too found git easier to use.
Benefits in my POV include:
- bisect. Makes it easy to track down a regression
- easier merging between a couple of branches
- convenient git-am to apply patches from email
etc.

> As far as I know, git works on local repositories.  How will we get
> things committed into a mainline repository?

git push -v --thin git+ssh://$USERNAME@uclibc.org/srv/git/uClibc.git
Paths will differ a bit, i will update the developer instructions on the
webpage accordingly.