MIPS NPTL patches [1/3]

Dan E trg_info at mailhaven.com
Fri Apr 10 06:03:19 UTC 2009

On Thu, 09 Apr 2009 07:06 -0400, "Mike Frysinger" <vapier at gentoo.org>
wrote:
> On Thursday 09 April 2009 06:10:26 Dan E wrote:
> > >
> > > no we arent.
> >
> > Umm... yes, we are.  Why would I submit a patch against the trunk when
> > there is zero chance that update is going to be pulled across into the
> > nptl branch? <snip>
>
> you are mistaken.  if you look at actual commits, you'll see that changes
> are actively taken from trunk into the nptl branch so that the merge from
> branch into trunk is smoother.

If this is true then I owe you an apology, Mike, for my being so
obstinate.  It was my mistaken assumption that the main trunk branch and
the nptl branch were being maintained phsycally apart in completely
separate locations (logically and/or physically).

This was based on reading the list archives, going back years, where I
got the distinct impression that the trunk and nptl codebases had grown
apart to the point where they were each in their own little world,
completely divorced from each other with changes being merged back and
forth on an infrequent basis, if at all.  From that point of view,
changing something in the trunk would be invisible as far as the nptl
branch was concerned, and that's why I was arguing the "forget about the
trunk" angle.

If it works the way you say (and I have no reason to doubt that it does)
then I hereby retract all my previous comments in reaction to the points
you raised.  If I had investigated the status of each branch a little
more closely maybe I would have realized that my understanding of the
svn repository was in error.

I have used cvs, pvcs, svn, mercurial, git and perforce over the years
and I loathe all of them to a certain extent.  Branching has always been
a complex topic and a downright pain in the neck.  Possibly not as much
of a pain in the neck as I was being last night.  Please accept my
apology for thinking I was so right when, in fact, I was wrong.

DanE

--
http://www.fastmail.fm - Same, same, but different...