Cortex A8 support for uclibc

Hector Oron hector.oron at gmail.com
Tue Apr 7 20:31:07 UTC 2009

Hi Yann,

> I'm all for throwing away this mess as well. As new variants arrive, we'll
> add more of this stuff. And when one will try to compile with a gcc that
> is not recent enough, the -mcpu and -mtune options will not be recognised,
> and the build will break, and we'll be blamed for that.

I do not understand very well which build break, what do you
understand by variants and stuff?

"One will try to compile a gcc", here what matters is the one that
tries to compile uclibc.

>From my PoV you are mixing terms on C library and compiler. If you
want to make sure uClibc compiles with such flags on the compiler, you
can try to maintain it and fix it, which brings up the real problem,
which IMHO is maintaining uClibc to be able to compile on A8, uClibc
maintainers have to do an unneeded extra work making sure library is
compiles which that flavour. I would say, and I am none here, that if
you use that flavour, your patches when 'stuff' breaks might be very
welcome.

Indeed, I think it would be very cool to maintain that flavour, if you
want a starting point you could start by setting some daily builder
and make sure it compiles fine everyday, just being in a while
maintainer loop. Does it makes any sense? :)

Best Regards
--
 Héctor Orón