Cortex A8 support for uclibc

Yann E. MORIN yann.morin.1998 at anciens.enib.fr
Tue Apr 7 20:09:08 UTC 2009

Mike,
All,

On Tuesday 07 April 2009 21:14:36 Mike Frysinger wrote:
> On Tuesday 07 April 2009 14:29:06 Yann E. MORIN wrote:
> > Of course the processor variant we're building uClibc to run on matters!
> that's the decision of the compiler and/or user, not uClibc.  building uClibc
> with a different CFLAG certainly does not mean "uClibc supports XXX cpu".
> thus it does not care what processor *you're* compiling it for.

OK. I think we mis-understood each other. Apologies.

> i dont think we should keep enabling lazy people.  either the right options
> are selected by gcc in their toolchain, or they should manually add the -mcpu
> or whatever flags to their extra cflags.  extending this crap in our build
> system is a waste of time.

I'm all for throwing away this mess as well. As new variants arrive, we'll
add more of this stuff. And when one will try to compile with a gcc that
is not recent enough, the -mcpu and -mtune options will not be recognised,
and the build will break, and we'll be blamed for that.

I'll try to come up with a patch to that effect later in the evening.
Then we'll be able to discuss on sane grounds.

Regards,
Yann E. MORIN.

| +0/33 662376056 | Software  Designer | \ / CAMPAIGN     |  ___               |