status of 0.9.30 release

Chase Douglas cndougla at us.ibm.com
Fri Sep 26 15:06:22 UTC 2008

> Removing LINUXTHREADS_OLD might be a good idea.  (This still has
> nothing to do
> with NPTL.)  Having two is silly, and anything that's wrong with the
> newer
> linuxthreads should be _fixed_ before NPTL goes in.  Eliminating
> unnecessary
> duplication is always a plus, and removing code where possible is
> what uClibc
> is all about, really.

Has anyone else tried to compile openssh against the new linuxthreads
stack? When I tried a few weeks ago it failed to compile auth-pam.c.
In that file they do some pretty wacky stuff like redefining some of
the pthread functions. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a way
to get that file to build due to the way the uClibc pthread header
files are architected. So my suggestion would be to make sure that
openssh can compile against uClibc with the newer linuxthreads stack
before contemplating getting right of the older linuxthreads stack.

Also, I posted a patch to rectify a pthread fork mutex issue for
linuxthreads.old. I am not convinced that the newer linuxthreads stack
safely deals with the situation either, so porting that patch may be
wise. It shouldn't take hardly any work to do so as well.

Thanks,
Chase Douglas