status of 0.9.30 release

Bernhard Reutner-Fischer rep.dot.nop at gmail.com
Fri Sep 26 07:48:16 UTC 2008

On Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 02:17:30AM -0500, Rob Landley wrote:

>Removing LINUXTHREADS_OLD might be a good idea.  (This still has nothing to do
>with NPTL.)  Having two is silly, and anything that's wrong with the newer
>linuxthreads should be _fixed_ before NPTL goes in.  Eliminating unnecessary
>duplication is always a plus, and removing code where possible is what uClibc
>is all about, really.

There is no point in removing linuxthreads or linuxthreads.old in the
0.9.30.x series.

When NPTL is merged (after the .30 release), i.e. for 0.9.31 or 0.10.0
or however its version will end up as, you're free to update and fix
the normal linuxthreads so it works at least for i386 and _after_ that,
we could remove linuxthreads.old. Of course you're welcome to improve
NPTL to provide fine-grained option à la "Just TLS yes/no". That would
certainly be nice (of course i know zilch about threads nor do i think
that i need them) and perhaps would allow for deleting both of the 2
thread impls that are currently in trunk, dunno.

cheers,
Bernhard