status of 0.9.30 release

Carmelo Amoroso carmelo73 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 8 07:14:13 UTC 2008

Rob Landley wrote:
> On Sunday 07 September 2008 02:47:49 Carmelo Amoroso wrote:
>> Rob Landley wrote:

>>> I'm interested in finding regressions too, because I'm seriously
>>> considering putting out a .30 of my own just so there's a known set of
>>> bugs to test against.  (Considering that nothing's been checked into the
>>> repository for two weeks, this seems like a nice point to do it...)
>> I agree, I don't see any real issues for postponing to ship a .30 release
>> just now.
>
> I've found a few, starting with the fact that it doesn't seem to build on
> mips:
>
>   CC libc/stdlib/__cxa_finalize.os
> In file included from libc/stdlib/__cxa_finalize.c:8:
> libc/stdlib/_atexit.c: In function '__cxa_finalize':
> libc/stdlib/_atexit.c:205: warning: implicit declaration of function 'typeof'
> libc/stdlib/_atexit.c:205: error: expected ';' before '__prev'
> libc/stdlib/_atexit.c:205: error: '__prev' undeclared (first use in this
> function)
> libc/stdlib/_atexit.c:205: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only
> once
> libc/stdlib/_atexit.c:205: error: for each function it appears in.)
> libc/stdlib/_atexit.c:205: error: expected ';' before '__prev'
> libc/stdlib/_atexit.c:205: error: expected ';' before '__prev'
> libc/stdlib/_atexit.c:205: error: expected ';' before '__prev'
> libc/stdlib/_atexit.c:205: error: invalid lvalue in asm output 0
> make: *** [libc/stdlib/__cxa_finalize.os] Error 1
>
> Working on it...
>
>> I stopped for a while nptl merge because involved in kernel stuff,
>> but I'll go back to uclibc next week.
>
> I'm looking at the -svn version because 0.9.29 doesn't have TLS and current
> glibc absolutely won't build on a host that doesn't have TLS.  (Yes, even
> when trying to cross-compile it.)  This means you can't cross compile from a
> uClibc system to a glibc system, so you can't build Linux From Scratch 6.3
> under FWL 0.9.0.
>
> I realize that moving to svn doesn't inherently solve that, but if I'm
> contemplating patching the heck out of something (I don't need NPTL, just
> TLS), then more than year old version probably isn't the best basis for it.
>
>> As you have seen, I've fixed a problem in ntpl static link.
>
> Which nptl branch is this?  The sjhill one that only does super hitachi, the
> arm one from the code sourcery guys, or the other one?  To be honest, I
> haven't looked at any of those this year because they all seem totally
> stalled.

Yes, there is just one NPTL branch supporting now, all integrated together,
mips/arm/sh4. Almost synchronized with trunk. Containing the patches
I was referring missing from trunk... at least for sh4 fully tested (LTP too),
really used in a production system from ST's customers.
It seems you have missed a lot of recent works and commit done by Khem and myself.

>> I've discovered similar problrms on trunk (using linuxthreads.old) at least
>> on sh4 (but I think it's a common problem).
>

> I don't have an emulator I can run an sh4 linux kernel under.  I've build an
> sh4 cross compiler and uClibc (0.9.29) based root filesystem with busybox and
> a native toolchain, but qemu 0.9.1 system emulation only has a toy sh4 board
> that nobody knows how to make work and doesn't have any interesting hardware
> attached to it anyway.  (The systems I'm using have a virtual hard drive and
> network card so I can build natively under 'em using distcc to call out to
> the cross compiler.  The qemu sh4 emulation I can't even get to boot to a
> shell prompt via serial console.)

Don't worry, I've real working sh4 hw with its toolchain. I'll test it.