More on the svn 23660 breakage.

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Mon Oct 27 22:29:56 UTC 2008

On Monday 27 October 2008 08:21:55 Bernd Schmidt wrote:
> Rob Landley wrote:
> > So svn 23660 broke arm with my .config, but if I change my .config from
> > MALLOC=y to MALLOC_STANDARD=y it works again.
> >
> > Does anybody understand the difference between the "MALLOC"
> > and "MALLOC_SIMPLE" options?  The make help is not being useful here.
> >
> > Off to try MALLOC_SIMPLE...
>
> MALLOC_SIMPLE has disastrously bad performance.  It should be removed.

Actually, now that I take a closer look at it...

There are _three_ allocators right now, MALLOC, MALLOC_SIMPLE, and
MALLOC_STANDARD.  Is your objection that MALLOC does everything MALLOC_SIMPLE
does (including nommu support), so there's no real need for MALLOC_SIMPLE?

If would be nice if the config symbols were in order from smallest to largest
implementation...

Rob