Install problem (Cross compile AVR32)

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Fri Oct 24 02:51:41 UTC 2008

On Wednesday 22 October 2008 01:48:02 Christian MICHON wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 2:57 AM, Jeremy Bowen
>
> <jeremy.bowen at pertronic.co.nz> wrote:
> > <rant>
> > Argh! Why is the world full of lemmings. "buildroot" is not the magical
> > answer to life the universe and everything.
> > </rant>
>
> "42" is the right answer :)
>
> More seriously, when building gcc, have you patched for avr32 the
> sources to use ld-uClibc.so.0 instead of ld-linux.so.2 ? (wild
> guess...)

I don't patch my compiler for uClibc.  Instead I build my cross
compiler --disable-shared (to avoid the libgcc_s.so->libc.so problem) and
then use an updated version of the old uClibc wrapper script
(http://landley.net/hg/firmware/file/tip/sources/toys/gcc-uClibc.c) to call
the compiler with a big command line starting with --no-stdinc --no-stdlib
and then re-adding all the correct paths and libraries manually.

The only way to beat sensible behavior out of the built-in gcc path searching
logic is not to _use_ the built-in gcc path searching logic at all.

> This is what you need to do if you do not want to use buildroot.

Or you could use my Firmware Linux project as a base. :)

> Forget my answer if you did it already and it was obvious to you. If
> we fall into that later case, you need to find someone else using
> avr32 (I'm not btw).

I'm interested in doing so, I just don't have the context...

Rob