Install problem (Cross compile AVR32)

Jeremy Bowen jeremy.bowen at pertronic.co.nz
Wed Oct 22 00:57:19 UTC 2008

On Wednesday 22 October 2008 12:52:07 pm John Voltz wrote:
> I would recommend you save yourself the pain, and just use buildroot.

<rant>
Argh! Why is the world full of lemmings. "buildroot" is not the magical answer
to life the universe and everything. When something goes wrong with buildroot
it is virtually impossible to determine WTF it is doing.

Everytime I see anyone post a problem with their toolchain, someone ALWAYS
says; "Just use buildroot". It's a non-answer. It's like saying "You don't
have to think. Trust us. We know what is best for you." Pertty soon we're all
using "Visual Basic .NET" and having a lobotomy.

It never encourages anyone to sort out an issue for themselves and eventually
everyone gets spoon-fed all their answers and becomes an unquestioning sheep.
</rant>

Additional information.
==================
A colleague and I are trying to sort out our build environments. He's using
buildroot and it results in a broken (non-booting) linux kernel. I'm NOT
using buildroot and my kernel is fine but I can't compile applications.

$deity only knows what part of the buildroot chain is broken here so I'm
trying to independently resolve the toolchain issue and hopefully identify
exactly which component is broken.

> This will have mixed results and will get _beyond_ tedious when you start
> discovering dependencies.

Yes, because this the WRONG way to solve the problem.

> Save your time and use buildroot. Spend your
> spare time enjoying a beer or something more enjoyable... ;) You will also
> inevitably encounter a package with broken configure (or none at all) in
> which case you better break out a can of patience, because you'll need it!

If I get my toochain fixed and working correctly I can confidently say I will
NEVER have a problem with broken packages or configure scripts. This is
entirely independent of whether I use buildroot or not.

I'm pretty sure this is just a simple configuration setting in either gcc or
uClibc because at some point over the past few days I was able to build
executables but I have subsequently changed a setting somewhere.

Thanks
Jeremy