Compiling asterisk against uclibc-0.9.29

Ming-Ching Tiew mingching.tiew at redtone.com
Mon Oct 20 05:47:31 UTC 2008

Rob Landley wrote:

> Ok, it's sounding like a race condition in uClibc's current daemon()
> implementation, triggered by the parent exiting before the child
> finishes whatever it's doing in daemon().
>
> However, it doesn't sound like the child process _dies_.  Your
> original bug report involved asterisk creating _lots_ of child
> processes, when it should only create 3.  I'm not sure what the
> failure behavior is, and would love to be able to recreate it so I
> can debug it.

No. That's not what I meant.

The bug report was about asterisk ***NOT**** creating lots of
child processes or threads where it should be.

The asterisk, when invoked :-

          # asterisk

will call daemon() to fork to the background and the child will
then supposed to create many child processs or threads. When
in the bugged case, the child also died, so it left behind only
3 processes.

When asterisk is invoked

          # asterisk -v

It will not call daemon(), so it will work correctly and it managed
to create many child process or threads.

> Do you have a small test case that's not part of the asterisk package
> but just a program we can compile and run on our own systems?

I will try to write one to see if it is repeatable. I have heard people
having this problem with 'dropbear' but I have not seen it myself.

Regards.