10/04 snapshot good -rc2 material.

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Mon Oct 6 19:53:50 UTC 2008

On Monday 06 October 2008 03:24:19 Bernhard Reutner-Fischer wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 05, 2008 at 03:35:50AM -0500, Rob Landley wrote:
> >For what it's worth, using the linuxthreads.old stuff, the 10/04 nightly
>
> Unfortunately i have _no_ idea what revision that would be.

Each snapshot contains all the svn info, so you can extract the tarball and
do "svn info" to get the revision number.  In this case, 23582.

That said, if any changes since then are going to be in the final version
anyway, and we're in "bugfixes only" mode so none of the 8 gazillion random
people with svn commit access has decided to make changes you didn't expect,
then you might as well just ship a snapshot of current svn.  Presumably,
whatever's in there will be in the final release anyway...

> >snapshot built for armv4l, armv5l, i586, i686, x86-64, m68k, mips, mipsel,
> >sh4, powerpc, and sparc.  I've test booted the arm and mips variants, and
> >should have time to poke at the others in the morning.
> >
> >It seems like good -rc2 candidate material, so I've attached my old
> > busybox release script for Bernhard's use, modified to work for uClibc
> > instead.  It's based on an email from Erik about how he used to cut
> > releases, so this is how the existing
>
> Thanks for the release script.
> I've half a dozend of fixes queued before the -rc2, i'll try to apply
> them this evening (in about 10 hours) and then do the rc2.

Cool.

> >The new maintainer will have to make his own gpg key, and replace
> >the "landley.net" reference to a URL to his own public key (on a server
> >_other_ than uclibc.org, or it really defeats the purpose of signing the
> >suckers in the first place).
> >
> >The other step to doing an actual release is announcing it on the web
> > page, something that didn't happen for -rc1.  Just FYI...
>
> I also forgot to bump the version number in the rc1. I'll do this for
> the rc2. Thanks for the reminder.

And add an svn label to the tree. :)

Query: do these -rc releases stay at the top level of the download directory,
or do they get moved to one of the subdirectories after the actual release?

Also, I note that the toolchains and root filesystems stuff is from 2005 and
totally irrelevant to anything current.  I've got statically linked
relocatable uClibc cross compiler toolchains for a bunch of targets
(including i686 and x86_64 targets), and either minimal root filesystems for
each target or root filesystems with build tools.

http://landley.net/code/firmware/downloads/binaries/

I'm happy to put copies in the download directory, or just clean up the
current lot and add a pointer to where you can find 'em as a README.

> cheers,
> Bernhard

P.S.  He who puts out releases is maintainer.  All else is details.  You have
been warned.

Rob