how to /just/build uclibc?

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Sun Nov 16 05:50:20 UTC 2008

On Saturday 15 November 2008 20:52:46 Jay wrote:
> I /just/ build want to build uclibc.

So no interest in installing or using it then?

> I have an existing uclibc system -- a Western Digital My Book World
> Edition. I want to build cross and native tools for it.

You have to use the same uClibc version.  Different uClibc releases aren't
binary compatible with each other.  (The most recent few might have a better
chance of this, but older versions before .27 were all over the place.)

In theory the 1.0 release would be the one where the uClibc ABI was declared
stable.  In practice, I'm not sure there will ever actually _be_ one.
(That's up to Bernhard.)  I know the NPTL stuff is pending first.  At one
point there was also some internationalization and math library weirdness
queued up that would break the ABI as well, but the people threatening to do
that evaporated.

> I am familiar with building gcc and binutils, cross and native.Usually I
> get a "sysroot" from the system -- /usr/include, /usr/lib, /lib,and I don't
> bother building a C runtime. However the system doesn't have /usr/include.I
> figure I should build the C runtime -- headers, startup code, static
> libs.Taking a chance on matching the running system, assuming/hoping
> therearen't any/many easy/difficult ways to alter the ABI.Yeah yeah, I'm
> sure there's some. I just want to build uclibc.I don't really want
> buildroot.

I have a build system at http://landley.net/code/firmware that's implemented
as a series of bash scripts.  You don't have to use it, you can just read the
bash scripts to see what it's doing. :)

I'm trying to get the next release out this weekend, which will have uClibc
0.9.30 and uClibc++ in it.  (Working on that now.)

> Anyway, buildroot is great. It seems to be one of the few and best waysto
> build an entire Linux system from source.

www.linuxfromscratch.org has showed people how to build a linux from scratch
system from source for almost a decade now.

Rob