how to /just/build uclibc?

Jay jay.krell at cornell.edu
Sun Nov 16 02:52:46 UTC 2008

I /just/ build want to build uclibc.
I have an existing uclibc system -- a Western Digital My Book World Edition.
I want to build cross and native tools for it.
I am familiar with building gcc and binutils, cross and native.Usually I get a "sysroot" from the system -- /usr/include, /usr/lib, /lib,and I don't bother building a C runtime.
However the system doesn't have /usr/include.I figure I should build the C runtime -- headers, startup code, static libs.Taking a chance on matching the running system, assuming/hoping therearen't any/many easy/difficult ways to alter the ABI.Yeah yeah, I'm sure there's some.
I just want to build uclibc.I don't really want buildroot.
First, uclibc wants the kernel headers.Ok, I think I can handle that.  Download kernel.    make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-uclibc- defconfig
    maybe make install_headers, ok
    maybe I should let it build entirely but I haven't yet
Then building uclibc fails for lack of stddef.h I think.
Ok I went back and built/installed more of gcc.
  I know it (optionally?) carries some headers with it.And I manually copied gcc's glimits.h to limits.h.That got me further, but still some problem. I think errno.h was missing
or in the wrong place.

Anyway, buildroot is great. It seems to be one of the few and best waysto build an entire Linux system from source. But it's not what I wantright now, I just want to build cross and native tools, but since I canbuild gcc/binutils, I just want to build uclibc.(I actually have been searching for this, found LinuxFromScratch, DoItYourselfLinux.)
ie: Most of my systems I'm "brave" enough to install from scratch.
But this system has no console and does have data I don't want to lose.
Yeah, I can just crack it open and move the drive.

I'm going back to using buildroot for now.
I'll maybe see what it does and copy the files around.
I think the mistake I made last time with buildroot was enabling
wchar/locale, so that more stuff would build, but that left me with
"ctypes_b" not found. So this time I'll omit wchar/locale.

You know, I say I just want gcc/binutils, but with buildroot I get greedy
and have it build more stuff, 'cause it's so easy. :)

Thanks, - Jay